The complacent appeal to scientific consensus is simply one more appeal to authority, quite inappropriate in science or philosophy...Claims of atmospheric warming often appear to conflict and depend upon the period of time under consideration.
- The earth has cooled during the past 10,000 years since the Holocene climate optimum.
- The earth has cooled since 1000 years ago, not yet achieving the temperatures of the Medieval Warm Period.
- The earth has warmed since 400 years ago after the Little Ice Age three centuries ago.
- The earth warmed between 1979 and 1998 and has cooled slightly since 2001.
The following facts are additional reasons for scepticism.
- In many places, most of the 11,700 years since the end of the last ice age were warmer than the present by up to 2C.
- Between 1695 and 1730, the temperature in England rose by 2.2C. That rapid warming, unparalleled since, occurred long before the Industrial Revolution.
- From 1976 to 2001, “the global warming rate was 0.16C per decade”, as it was from 1860 to 1880 and again from 1910 to 1940.
My suspicions have been deepened through the years by the climate movement’s totalitarian approach to opposing views. Those secure in their explanations do not need to be abusive.
The term “climate change denier”, however expedient as an insult or propaganda weapon, with its deliberate overtones of comparison with Holocaust denial, is not a useful description of any significant participant in the discussion